Monarch enthusiasts in warm regions are dealing with a unique set of circumstances and issues when it comes to butterfly gardening and raising monarchs. These include plant care issues and dealing with more monarch disease when raising monarch butterflies.
Check out these valuable resources for getting first-hand info from those supporting monarchs in these regions:
1. The Beautiful Monarch is a facebook group created to teach members how to raise and properly care for the monarch butterfly from egg to flying adult along with learning about their predators, diseases and other monarch facts.
While this group is intended for monarch lovers across North America, there are many in the group from western and southern locales. Join the group to network with other monarch supporters in your area:
2. Butterfly Farms is a California nonprofit 501(c)(3) dedicated to education, conservation and research of our important pollinators. They study the host and nectar plant relationships of pollinators using the Western Monarch Butterfly as our model. Visit their farm to learn more about monarchs:
3. Monarch Butterflies in the Pacific Northwest is a portal for research, conservation, and news of the pacific northwest monarchs:
4. Monika Moore is the California Butterfly Lady and shares her first-hand knowledge of gardening and raising butterflies is Southern California. You can like her facebook page to get updates in your newsfeed:
5. The Southwest monarch study researches the breeding and migration patterns of western monarch butterflies in Arizona and the southwestern US:
6. Butterfly Gardening Tips & Ideas for Central California:
7. Las Pilitas Nursery has put together a list showing native plants used by California butterflies, including monarchs:
8. Annie’s Annuals is another highly reviewed California nursery that offers native and annual butterfly plants. Click on each plant’s thumbnail for more info:
9. The Xerces society protects monarchs and other wildlife through the conservation of their native habitat. Download their free guide on milkweed and monarchs in the western US:
10. If you’re looking to purchase monarch eggs, caterpillars, chrysalides to raise and release, this California vendor ships to states west of the continental divide including CA, WA, OR, AZ, UT, NM & CO:
Please comment below if you know of other good western monarch resources