Grape Goodness for Pollinators
Lantana camara ‘luscious grape’, common names: trailing grape lantana, lavender lantana, purple lantana
Trailing Grape Lantana Plant Specs
- Perennial flower for USDA hardiness zones 9a-11 (lows to -6.7 °C or 20 °F)
- Annual plant for colder regions
- Full sun to part shade
- Height: 10 to 14 in
- Spacing: 2 to 3 ft
- Trails up to 3 ft
- Flowers: purple with white and yellow centers
- Blooms all season until first frost
Trailing Grape Lantana Pros
- Long bloom period
- Small serrated leaves a striking contrast with bright purple blooms
- Trailing flowers look stunning cascading from raised beds or pots
- No serious pest issues
- In the running for prettiest purple garden flower
Trailing Purple Lantana Cons
- Must be regularly deadheaded- blooms prolifically with pruning!
- Too short to be fully appreciated in some areas of the garden
- Lantana is a potentially poisonous plant to pets and small children.
An option to grow this safely would be to put it in a hanging pot.
Trailing Lantana Plant Propagation
- Herbaceous stem cuttings
Trailing Lantana Growing Tips
- Deadhead every few days for a bounty of beautiful blooms
- Fertilize with an organic fertilizer that promotes flowering
- Average water needs. Don’t overwater.
This nectar plant also attracts bumblebees, eastern tiger swallowtails, gulf fritillaries, hummingbirds, skippers, and more…(please report what butterflies/pollinators this has attracted to your garden in a comment below.)
There are not many pollinator reports on this variety yet. Many websites, books, and nurseries suggest planting lantana, which insinuates all lantana varieties contain the same nectar content and will be equally attractive to all butterflies.
We had tiger swallowtails all over our grape lantana last season, but they didn’t touch our ‘bandana’ lantana camara plants in the next raised bed over.
Buy Trailing Grape Lantana for your garden:
3. Find More Lantana Camara varieties on our Butterfly Flowers Page
Please post below if you have any questions or comments about growing trailing lantana camara in your garden: